07 February 2010

Manila and the Bachelorette

Went to a friend's bridal shower last night. Friendship clause prevents me from divulging what went down, but we had a gay olde tyme.



It's funny to see everyone pairing off and settling down one after another. We all knew each other when we were dumb kids making stupid mistakes and having our hearts broken and trampled on on a regular basis. Doesn't mean we aren't the same dumb kids anymore, but I guess now we know better to stay away from people who break our hearts and stick with the person who truly loves us. It's hard and frustrating, but it all pans out in the end. Or we could at least hope.


I had an early shoot this morning, but trust me not to get up on time. While waiting for the camera crew to set up and for the hosts to get their makeup done, a walk around Binondo revealed that I still haven't discovered all of Manila's impressive sights. Like many Pinoys, I never get to see all of the city's hidden splendor... mostly because there are so few left and they are so well hidden under the guise of neglect.


I entered the empty post office in Liwasang Bonifacio that Sunday, too. The lady guard gave me a wary look but let me in, curious why anyone would want to go inside a closed, dirty old building anyway "just to see it." About two minutes later, she followed me inside to turn the lights on - which I said were unnecessary, you could see well enough even with the doors closed. It was designed to let in light. Besides, I only wanted to touch the iron grills and the banisters that stood there when my grandfather migrated to Manila, and see the ceilings and walls that defied the second world war, and touch the tables where my father maybe sent a few letters himself. Tacky drapings on the ceiling and bad paint job aside, the building does not cease to amaze.

It is bittersweet to see the decaying city's beauty again on my last year here. Manila, I hope that when I see you again you will have found a person who will really love and care for you. Or we could at least hope.

2 comments:

  1. hey mawj i love those shotters!!!
    ang galing mo ding mag sulat.
    last week nasa Binondo din ako sabi ko madami pa akong hindi nakikita sa maliit ng parteng ito ng maynila. kapuringgit lang hindi ko pa ma explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, friend! kahit na parang magulo at masikip, enjoy palang maglibot-libot sa old manila, may little surprises kang makakasalubong. ang init lang kasi, kakapagod maglakad :p

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Read