14 April 2011

Charot Cake

In Pinoy street lingo, "charot" means flirty. I bought some carrots last week at the street market thinking I could make something healthy within the week, but you know what they say about the road to hell. We were asked out to dinner and lunch plenty of times this week so I needed to think of something to do with the fruits and vegetables I hoarded before they start to rot. The eggplant was turned into a gratin with some bread crumbs that were dangling perilously close to the expiration date; the tomatoes were chucked into a bowl of romaine with bell peppers, chicken, parsley, grapes, mango cubes, oranges and wine vinegar, while the remaining tomatoes will be tossed in with some fresh mozzarella and basil (by tomorrow or else!) for a traditional salad; extra mangoes will be transformed into jam while some will end up on a pizza I'm making tomorrow and the overripe bananas will find a new lease in life as cake as soon as I buy more eggs. Meanwhile, the carrots were enjoyed for three nights straight after I transformed them into a moist cake. The first night we shared it with a friend who came over to play video games, the second day I had it for breakfast, and today H was dead set on eating the strawberries before they got soft so I let loose the whipped cream and set our diet back 2 weeks. 

Malanding cake.
And I'm not sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Read