01 April 2011

Perfect Square


Parisians consider Place des Vosges, once called the Place Royale, the most beautiful square in the world.

Place Vosges in the 17th Century - From Parisdigest.com.
It is perfectly square, with 36 houses, divvied up into 9 houses per edge, standing side by side for all of 400 years. 



It's here that I sometimes take my books to read, when the sun is out and I have nothing better to do. 




This poetry group (Place au Poeme) had the same idea, reading out loud to the crowd.




While the rest of us enjoyed the sun.








A few weeks ago they decided it was warm enough to turn on the fountains, and a capoeira group was jumping around in the grass.




Art galleries and restaurants line the perimeter of the square.




This one I really liked, it reminded me of my dad.



Kings used to live here, but one house in particular has been turned into a museum in honor of its famous occupant: a writer whose "oeuvres" are synonymous with Paris.



The dude who wrote Les Miserables.



In fact, my guidebook says it was here that he wrote most of the book.


He lived on the second floor of the hotel, and the museum has reconstructed the rooms. My mom would have loved to see this, even though when you really think about it, looking at furniture should be boring! But Victor Hugo rocked my adolescent world in high school, so he's kind of my rock star. 



Perhaps the desk where he penned Notre-Dame de Paris (Hunchback of Notre Dame)? 
The leather desk top is really worn out. 



The china room overlooks the Place Des Vosges. I think this is supposed to be the dining area.



The man sure loved his chinaware.




This bust by Rodin is in the hallway just before his bedroom.



The museum is free, so if you want to go it's close to the Metro Bastille, and you can take the No.1, 5, or 8. There are also some nice shops outside if you finish early.


I had a rendezvous with some Pinoy friends near Hausmann so I took off after getting some sun. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Read