11 July 2011

Samedi Blanche

H and I were invited to a politician's garden party north of Orleans last weekend where everyone was instructed to wear white. Surrounded by members of the French upper crust, I traded in my colorful striped socks for lacy striped socks.


An hour before leaving for the party I realized I didn't have shoes for the occasion. I'd been leaning towards sandals the night before, but the day turned out to be a bit chilly and I had to wear stockings or die of exposure. So it was a good thing that I didn't throw away this pair of ballet flats that were muddy and falling apart on the inside (I don't remember how they got that way, though I bet there was rum in the equation). I scrubbed them frantically with a sponge, an old toothbrush and a prayer - and by nine pm a socialite with 5-inch heels pointed at my feet and said she envied me. I told her life can be so unfair to our sex.


The party was held in a private chateau in the middle of nowhere and I was surrounded by beautiful, wealthy people with patrician features. I was so out of my element!


Even the kids were fashion forward!


Wala lang, just turn your collar up tapos kaswal lang. I love the flapper look of some attendees. There were some outrageous costumes too, scroll down (way, way down) for Sasquatch.


Imma have a dress made like the one below.


We drove down with this Irish writer/designer. He was fascinated that Parisians could tell he wasn't French just by looking at him. I said, if they can distinguish that in a white male, what chances have I got?


We shared a table with fashion designers and fashion journalists... who were fascinated by the bold color choices of these two bozos.



But I did my best to fit in; and with an open bar, how can you not enjoy yourself?


There were the obviously pretentious bourgeois, starlets and hangers-on, but they weren't all half bad. In fact when I disappeared for the powder room, a guy who looked a little like Prince Harry and had a really nice aura about him struck up a conversation with H. Well, he turned out to be a minister's son and he thought we were so fascinating that he offered to introduce us to his friend in Thailand who has a polo club... I mean, I leave H for five minutes and he's suddenly moving up in the world. Halukadat. So maybe we could fit Thailand in our future itinerary, who knows?


Speaking of H, I'm so proud of him, he lost some weight recently and I haven't been able to catch up.


My pogi little champagne holder!!! I feel guilty because I ate everything they served.

But to my defence, I danced a lot after! And we danced until dusk... that was when we had a Bigfoot sighting.


When it got dark, everyone was called to the patio for a little movie from when the host was given the medal of honor.


But we were equipped to drink through it! Halukadat!


We huddled together and watched, until we were told to move to the lawn for fireworks. It took them a while to set up, so long in fact that H had started to lose interest, turned off the video cam and hugged me by the end of a samba "La Vie En Rose." Wouldn't you know it, that was when the fireworks started.

This was either "Boom, Boom, Pow" or a Shakira song. 


I think this was "If I Were A Boy."


On our way back home there were cars full of people in white on the road, and they were swaying left and right and breaking suddenly! So H sped past them and we had 20 minutes of peace on the highway until A DEER ran in front of us. H, God bless him, stepped on the break just in time so Bambi can be reunited with his mom. No more than 10 minutes later though, A FOX ran in front of the car! We were trying to predict what form the next pedestrian would take. Puro animal ang nasa kalsada! ANIMAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Read