07 November 2010

TV and Dinners

The Dumonsters celebrated Deepavali with the neighbors last Friday night. All us ladies had glittery bindi stickers on our foreheads, and the men had a red dot of lipstick each. I noticed we were all couples, and by the end of the night some of the glitter had found its way on our men too. 

Forgive the unruly brows. Threading is expensive.
Our host prepared a lovely dinner of Indian and Mauritian food, while behind her flickered a steady stream of Indian music videos on the telly. One even had Sayid of "Lost" fame singing and dancing, or at least we think it's him. I told my husband I had a crush on the actor when I saw him on "The English Patient," and one of our friends said "No way he was there." But yes, he was way there, and I'm at least sure of that.
Thank Lakshmi the other guests had to leave early and finally the plan to dance Bollywood-style was dropped in favor of finishing the booze, and the conversation drifted to obscure French grammar - as it always tends to do around the French. They correct each other all the time.

Anyway, the three-paragraph intro was just to explain why we woke up late, and I had very little time to finish a writing assignment. H was complaining that I was on my computer all the time, so he went to FNAC and got his second PS Move wand or stick or, insert phallic joke here. 

Except for the time when he got a baguette for breakfast and the time he picked up the stick, we both stayed at home the whole day and watched Pirates of the Caribbean, then some Saturday TV specials, including a variety show with topless ladies on the stage. Yowza! This would cause a scandal in the Philippines, but my husband was so... nonchalant. He said "Of course, they're in Crazy Horse."

By evening he was joking with a friend on the phone that they've suddenly gotten old. Many moons ago they would never be caught at home on a saturday night. But I wouldn't go out in this weather either. It was raining like crazy outside the whole day, and the Meteo said it would actually snow in some parts of France. I vote for staying home.

I took some breaks from writing and gave him a goat cheese and tomato pizza for appetizer and then some minutes later he stood up to make salad and prepare dinner. We had raclette, which is basically a kind of cheese you melt and spread over thin slices of sausage, ham, and potatoes. 

By the time I was ready to submit my assignment, he had the raclette/fondue pan out and it was time for dinner.

My 2 favorite kinds of meat :)
We were watching the French version of The Amazing Race.
Coincidentally, the contestants were where we'd like to be next year!

This is the plate for the first round. 
If I showed you the second plate you might think we're gluttons.

I boiled the potatoes. Go me!

His salad.

Our IKEA table!!! Love love love!!!

My cheese boiling.

Sometimes I would keep small bits of cheese in the pan so they'd become crunchy.
MMMMMM.

 And then we moved to the sofa for chocolate mousse and walnuts.
I forgot to take a picture of the walnuts :(

Bon, whatever you're having tonight, bon appetit!

2 comments:

  1. ang sarap naman! you made the mousse yourself?- agay

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, no. it's store-bought. wala pa ko sa level na yun :p

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Read