04 November 2010

Coffee Monster in: "Sponge Cake Square Pan"

I drank half a bottle of coke, but I am betting it's the coffee that's keeping me up. I know I shouldn't be drinking it. I once drank a cuppa and stayed up all night sewing flowers all over my denim overalls... let's call them the Osh Kosh years.


Now I'm hungry but I ate the last of the stir-fried noodles before going to bed (hours ago) and now there is nothing better to do so might as well put this time to good use and give you my sponge cake recipe, first popularized last week.

Ingredients

1 cup unsalted butter, room temp 
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup warm milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons lemon juice

2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

Procedure

I botched the first thing on the list because I took the butter out of the fridge and spun it in the microwave for a few secs, but it looked ok so it didn't worry me much. If you have time to melt the butter the normal way then good for you.

First real step, beat the butter and the sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then add in the milk, vanilla and lemon juice. I wish I knew then that H had a mixer in the house, no it's not so hard to do it manually, I just wish I didn't have to.

Then, in a separate bowl, whisk the flour, salt and baking powder together. Then add them to the previous mix. Whisk the whole thing for about 30 minutes (I know) or leave it in the mixer for 15 minutes. The longer you mix, the more air goes into the batter, the fluffier the sponge cake.

Pour it into a pan and bake for 25 minutes at 177 degrees Celsius or 350 Fahrenheit. I think I was drunk and put it at 200C, but no harm no foul.

After the 25 minutes are up, pull the pan out of the oven and let it cool over a wire rack.

Then make some coffee and wait for someone to come and praise your newly-discovered baking prowess.

Sponge Cake Square Pan, AD (after dumonster)



2 comments:

  1. wow marj! so domesticated. more recipes to come? xP

    ReplyDelete
  2. mheh, just because you asked for it :D salamat!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Read