15 October 2010

Bored Housewife Terroir Terror

I am crossing bored housewife territory.

The changing weather and the cold drinks I insist on having have conspired to make me sick, and now I'm too weak to go outside.

Yesterday we had dinner with H's childhood friend who lives in LA and the guy's adopted uncle from Hawaii. The older guy's a very smart and practical man, he calls himself a "champagne whore" and is half of a duo dubbed "The Bubbly Twins" whose occupation is to eat and drink well (no kidding, they have a calling card). He spoke candidly about work and life choices as a guy who's been through it all. It was so refreshing to speak to other people in English again so, yeah, I talked a lot and strained my tonsils and now I miss Bactidol. H made me try his tonsil spray but nothing beats old school gargling.

Earlier today, I put the laundry in the machine. So now I'm looking at the apartment, there's chips on the carpet, my body aches. I want to go out but if I get off the couch my body will collapse into the chips. There's 2 big boxes from IKEA that want to be set free. The glasses on the kitchen sink are collecting dust...

But here's what I decided to do:

I gave my new coat a fashion spread.
Here it is on the beach in the Galapagos.

 
I love these stockings! They are replacing
the green knit stockings I got from St. Francis Square.
H has been on my case for a month about getting me a new coat. He took me to Decathlon  four weeks ago so we could get his-and-hers winter jackets because he's sick of seeing me in my ski suit. He's embarrassed for me, the sweet thing. But I kept on refusing because I think it's a waste of money. But here comes autumn and I realize not all my clothes match the green coat I bought on sale two years ago. Hello downside of being a girl!

Calling a friend, enjoying the breeze.
When you're the Invisible Girl, the wind
blows through you and it tickles. Wooosh.




So I went looking for a coat yesterday and found a nice one with a thick collar and the price was reasonable so I went ahead and paid for it. I don't have a lot of money because my paycheck's still stuck in bureaucratic muck back at my old job, so I couldn't get a longer, luxurious coat like the fancy ladies at the Marais... not that I want one. 

My brother gave me this pin from Firenze. I gave him a green fleur-de-lys from Florence three years ago.



So I wore the coat last night. We had Asian food at Lao Lanxang at Ave de Choisy. The waitress couldn't understand what I was asking for (it was Com Bo Cuong, by the way) but got it when H said "R7," the menu code. What the h. 

After dinner we said goodbye to H's friends in front of the apartment. I told Mr. Champagne Whore he could be a good life coach then he said, pointing at me and H: "Okay, if you really believe in what I say, here's what you should always remember: always give the other person the bigger piece of the porkchop."

I won't give you the whole 3 minutes. All I'm going to say is it's the smartest thing I've ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Read